Saturday, January 3, 2009

Background on Genesis

Hey All!

I have tried to become better at knowing who wrote the book I am reading, what time it was written in, what was trying to be communicated... so, I had some info in one of my study bibles that I thought I would pass on. Please add more if you find it.

WHY READ GENESIS?
It talks about how Genesis takes us back to the beginning of time to explain how all the "firsts" were created...(first plants, animals, man, woman, first sin, first news of God's salvation). It also talks about God's relationship with Noah, Abraham, and others demonstrates his desire from the beginning to be in fellowship with people.

WHO WROTE IT?
Moses probably wrote this book around 1440 B.C. It says since he was not an eye witness to the events, that he has to rely on God's revelation and perhaps oral/written records. I had written in that he wrote it for the people of Israel on way to Canaan (promised land)... maybe I was smoking something :)

WHAT PERIOD OF HISTORY DOES IT COVER?
Beginning of creation (date speculated) to time Israelites arrived in Egypt and grew into a nation (1800 B.C.)

TO WHOM WAS IT WRITTEN?
Says since the book announces that all peoples on earth will be blessed through Abraham, it seems to conclude all people can benefit.

WHAT TO FOCUS ON..
Notice the focus Genesis places on the relationship between God and humanity - broken in the garden and restored through sacrifices and personal encounters with God. Illustrates cycles of sin and repentance... seems pretty relevant to me!

Hope this helps a little.
-h


2 comments: