Friday, January 2, 2009

January 1 and 2

Two days down and only 363 to go! So we've read about the Creation, Cain and Abel, some lineage, and got a peek at Noah and the Arc. (Genesis 1 - 6:22) Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Gen 1:6-8 "Then God said, "Let there be a space between the waters, to separate the waters of the heavens from the water of the earth." and that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens. God called the space "sky."

I don't think I've ever picked up on that verse and I've read this story a thousand times. It's hard for me to picture 'waters of heaven'.....

2) Gen 2:24 "This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one."

I think more men need to leave their father and mother and join themselves with a wife! :)

3) In the story of Cain and Abel it doesn't really explain why God didn't accept Cain's gift. Any thoughts?

I'm so excited to be on this journey with all of you. May God continue to reveal Himself and big and small ways in our lives.

Blessings, AM

P.S. I'd encourage you to read the introductory material in the 24/7 Bible, it's interesting. The translation info is good background and will help you get more out of your reading. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I also re-read Genesis 4:3-5 twice wondering why God didn't accept Cain's gift. I noticed it says that Abel gave the BEST of his firstborn lambs. It only says that Cain presented SOME of his crops to the Lord. I took it to infer that Cain gave what was convenient for him while Abel went out of his way to give God the best that he had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah....good catch Jenni! I need to read more carefully. I wonder how often I only give God 'some' rather than my 'best'. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you both... I was trying to think of ideas for what would be giving God our "best".. for example giving Him the time during the day we are most likely to hear Him, instead of chatting on facebook... any other ideas about what would be examples of our "BEST?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some examples for me would be planning my time to pray and study and not just pray and study if and when I have time. Another example for me would be to be thoughtful about what I say and do all the time even when I'm not in the best mood or feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally don't know that I could successfully plan specific times to be with God alone...so maybe my BEST would be to be aware enough throughout each day to see when I do have that time pop up. I am a floater and tend to drift through the day unaware of a lot. I will give my best at being intentional about time with God.

    I ditto Jenni on being thoughtful and loving despite my mood :)

    With the water part in Gen. 1:6-8, I have taught it to be the water above the expanse is that of the clouds and moisture in the atmosphere. So there's water above the expanse/sky and water below, the seas...

    I'm excited about all this too! Thanks for organizing, AM!

    ReplyDelete