Saturday, January 3, 2009

new thoughts

I'm hoping to have lots of hmmm thoughts as I read the Bible with fresh eyes. One thing I caught on Jan. 1 was with the Garden of Eden. I never put much thought into the perfection of that time when God first created Adam and Eve, because it was perfect and I that's about it :) Perfect community with God and with all He made. But I did pick up in 3:9 that God made the two trees, the Tree of Life and the Tree of the K.G.E (I'm lazy) already in His perfect Garden! So even in this perfect place, this "ideal" of God's creation, there was the choice/option to not choose God...and it was appealing! The fruit looked just as good as any other...and then 3:22 has God saying "he must not also...take from the Tree of Life and live forever."

I guess I just never thought about God giving that choice even in the very beginning...

And then after God scolds them, how sweet is it in 3:21, that he made clothes for them :)

1 comment:

  1. Great points Christie. I never thought about how God gave Adam and Eve a choice from the very beginning with the K.G.E. tree. Also, the fact that it looked so good on the outside is a reminder of all sin and how appealing it can seem at first glance.

    The clothing thing is so interesting to me. Why was nakedness correlated with sin/humility? I am going to blog on this from today's reading (Gen 9:21-25).

    ReplyDelete