Monday, January 5, 2009

"please tell them you are my sister"

Hi Ladies
 I'm catching up cause I was out of town this weekend, so here it goes...
I was reading today's scripture from Genesis 12 where there was a famine in the land and Abraham was forced to go to Egypt with his wife Sarah (I know their names aren't changed yet, but I can't get used to Abram/Sarai). Abraham gets this good idea that he should pretend Sarah is his sister so they won't try to kill him and steal his beautiful bride.  I've read this many times, but I'm realizing how little faith Abraham had at this moment in time.  He forgets to think that God can take care of him and this situation and they don't need to lie or pretend anything.  Simply put Abraham is scared and takes matters into his own hands.  I'm reminded in Hebrews in the "faith"chapter (12 I think) where Abraham is known for his faith. I guess it's encouraging that we can screw up and God can still use us. :)
  One other thing on this, I'm reading a book called "When People are Big and God is Small", which is about fearing people instead of God.  Meaning we seek people's approval in life more than we seek God's.  The author specifically spoke of this passage in Genesis stating that Abraham was more concerned about what people thought of him being married to Sarah, rather than being his sister.  It seems to be two different ideas. One was safety, one was embarrassment.  Thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment