Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thoughts on the Last few readings...

1. I was wondering if anyone knew what the true difference was when Esau gave up his BIRTHRIGHT to Jacob for some food vs. Isaac giving the BLESSING to Jacob dressed as a hairy man? In my mind I feel like the birthright and blessing are the same thing and my study bible doesn't really make it seem like they are all that different.

2. I thought it was kind of sad that God didn't let Rachel have babies for a time, just because he knew Leah wasn't as loved by Jacob...

4 comments:

  1. I found a website that explains it all really well. Basically it says that the birthright refers to the person's inheritance. The first born would receive a double portion of the inheritance, so whatever his brother would get, he would get two times that. This is what Esau gave up to Jacob. The blessing was a way to designate who became the head of the family when the father died. Like the birthright, it usually went to the oldest son, but not always.
    It's really fun to do extra research on these stories and things we've heard for so many years, but not fully understood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why when Isaac discovered that Jacob had deceived him, could he not reverse the blessing? I'm having a hard time understanding how a blessing could be valid for Jacob when Isaac thought he was truly blessing Esau? Any thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure either about why the blessing couldn't be undone....the times were so different back then. This did make me think though about how today someone's word may not be as dependable as it was back then. As followers of Christ, we must strive everyday for our yes's to be yes and our no's to be no.

    ReplyDelete